Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Broken

Yesterday, the school called. Trying to locate me, they called Josh (who didn't answer)and my brother Bill (who is a nurse and was heading up to Primary's and was just about to turn around and get him) I was in the shower and when I got out I heard my phone and my cell phone going crazy with calls and messages, saying they were pretty sure Nate had broken his arm. (a tiny part of me thought...maybe it's just sprained....)

I got to the school, saw him sitting there, they took the towel off his arm to show me and I gasped! I tried not to but IT WAS BAD! His arm stuck out at a 30* angle. Nate put it best, he said his arm looked like Harry Potter's when Prof. Lockheart removed his bones.

He had fallen off the slide at recess. He said it was really slippery from the rain they had that morning.

I didn't even mess around with a clinic or other hospital and headed straight for Primary's. They took one look at him and knew with out the x-ray that it would need to be set, and that they would need to sedate him.

The Dr. told me I could stay in the room but that I needed to sit down so I wouldn't pass out, while they were putting his arm in place. Then the other Dr. came in and said, "nope, you need to leave". I'm glad I left! I peeked in the window at one point and just about lost it, and I can only imagine the sounds that went along with that sight. ......shudder......

5 hours later....I head home with a sleepy, grouchy (from the meds, actually really funny grouchy) Nate. Poor kid.
He was just feeling the effects of the pain meds and was saying all sorts of crazy things.


Uh......I don't think bones are meant to look like that.

4 comments:

Mommy Amy's blog said...

What a way to start the school year! I am so sorry! Hopefully he is doing better today.

utahnelsonfamily said...

Man when your kids do something they really do it.. I hope that he gets feeling better soon.

Sammy said...

Ahhhh yikes! Poor Nate. That x-ray means bragging rights for the rest of his life. that is crazy.

Marie said...

Oh sad! Hope he is feeling better..